What Really Is Prayer?
- P = is Prevailing! In Gen. 32:28 the angel said to Jacob, “As a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.” What does prevailing mean? It means to become effective, to succeed, to triumph.
R = is Requesting! Matt. 7:7: “Ask, and it shall be given unto you.” Some pray only when trouble comes. We must pray often, asking largely.
- A = Acccepting! Mt. 21:22: “Whatsoever ye ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.” We must ask with expectancy…and we will receive with joy and appreciation.
- Y = is Yielding! Lk 22:42: “...not my will, but thine be done.” Jesus was facing the cross, His life was at stake, but He yielded to His Father’s will. Payers will be answered; burdens lifted; broken homes mended; souls saved….when we yield our will to His will.
- E = is Evangelizing! James 5:16: “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” Just think, our prayers can reach around the world to touch missionaries and love ones. Distance is no barrier to the effects of prayer. If you don’t pray for lost friends and family members, who will?
- R = Rejoicing! Jn. 16:24: “Ask and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.” Rejoicing comes with the anticipation of knowing God can answer. Prayer is not “Now I lay me down to sleep!” It is work!
Thou art coming to a king, large petitions with thee bring;
For His grace and power are such, none can ever ask too much! — John Newton